Cosplay simply means making or wearing costumes of your favourite characters from movies, comic books, anime and video games. So if you've always wanted to be a Jedi knight, crime-fighting superhero or a certain British video game heroine, why not dress up and join us in costume at CamCon?
The CamCon Cosplay Masquerade is a chance for everyone coming in costume to show off their costumes on the main stage at 5pm. We'll be giving out prizes for the best handmade costumes, while those with shop bought costumes can take part in the performance contest or just come and parade on stage for fun!
How to Enter
There are two ways to take part in the show:
In advance – Advance entries can be sent in between 23rd June and 24th August 2013. Please fill out the entry form and send it to together with your reference picture and music. Please do not send your form outside the entry dates or it won’t be accepted.
On the day – You can enter on the day at Camcon’s Cosplay Desk until 2pm. Please remember to bring a reference picture if you want to be eligible for a prize.
All ages can take part in the show, but if you are aged under 16, a parent or guardian must sign your entry form.
All contestants must hand in a picture of their character, to help the judges see what the character looks like. This can be attached together with your entry form or handed in on the day.
All advance entrants can choose their own music to be played when they walk on stage. Please send this as an MP3 file together with your entry form, or at the latest by August 24th. If we do not receive your file by then your music will not be played when you walk. It will not be possible to accept music for On The Day entries.
Types of Costume
- All kinds of costumes can be entered – characters from comic books, TV & Film, anime and manga, video games or original designs are all welcome.
- Camcon is a family and public event so all costumes must be PG rated. If in doubt about a costume please feel free to ask for confirmation.
- To be in with a chance of winning the prize for best costume, at least 75% of your costume must have been made by you, or by your family and friends. If entering in a group, this applies to all members.
- If you would like to take part with a bought costume, you are welcome to come and show off your costume on stage, but you will only be eligible for a performance prize. Please tick the box on the form to say whether your costume has been made or bought.
Performance or Walk-On?
Both Walk-On and performance entries are welcome. If you want to do a performance as part of your entry please take note of the following:
- You must tick the "Yes" box on the "Will you be doing a performance" line on the entry form.
- Performances can only be up to 3 minutes long. Overruns will result in disqualification and being asked to leave the stage
- As Camcon is an all-ages show, performances must be suitable for a family audience. Swearing or overt sexual references are will result in disqualification and being asked to leave the stage.
- Fighting or martial arts performances may be done at your own risk. Any performance that causes harm, or in the opinion of the organisers is likely to cause harm, to any contestants or to the audience will be stopped and the participants disqualified.
- For safety reasons, sharp objects and pyrotechnics may not be used.
- All completed entries must be handed in to the Cosplay Desk by 3:00 pm.
- All entrants will need to assemble at the Cosplay desk by 3:30 pm.
- Late entries will not be accepted & late arrivals will not be allowed on stage. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- The Masquerade is scheduled to start at 5:00 pm and finish at 6:00 pm
- Judges may wish to inspect costumes up-close so please stay in the area during the judging if possible.
- Results are expected to be announced at 6:45 pm.
Prizes & Judging
- Prizes will be given for the best solo costume, best group costumes and best performance.
- Costumes will be judged on accuracy (how much it resembles the reference image), craftsmanship (how well made the costume) and complexity. Performances will be judged on originality, execution and faithfulness to the character.
- The judging panel will be made up of experienced cosplayers and comic artists.
- All prizes must be collected on the day
- The panel's decision will be binding and final
You may be filmed or photographed during the Camcon’s Cosplay Show and Camcon or their sponsors may wish to use these images for promotional purposes. By entering the contest you agree to this.
Any cosplay questions should be sent to .